Makes 6 burgers
Preparation time: 15-20 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
1. Cook the frozen vegetables according to package directions. Drain the cooked vegetables and rinse them with cold water.
2. When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, mince them in three to four small batches with a large knife or process them for a few seconds in a food processor fitted with a chopping blade. Transfer the vegetables to a large bowl.
3. Add the egg, breadcrumbs, lemon juice, salt, pepper, garlic, and thyme to the minced vegetables.
4. Mix the ingredients thoroughly, mashing the vegetables against the side of the bowl with the back of a large spoon.
5. Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a nonstick pan over medium-high heat. While the pan is heating up, form the vegetable mixture into six uniform patties 2 1/2 -3" in diameter. or Instead of pan-frying the burgers, you can bake them in the oven. Just add 1 tbsp. of vegetable oil to the mixture before forming the patties. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray and bake the burgers at 350° F. for 40 minutes, turning them after the first 20 minutes.
6. Fry three patties at a time--turning once--for approximately three minutes per side.
7. While the first set of patties is cooking, split the hamburger buns and place them all on a large cooking sheet, split side up. Toast them in the oven at 275° F. for two to three minutes.
8. When the first set of patties is cooked, place them on a plate lined with paper towels to drain. Place the remaining three patties in the pan. Add the second tablespoon of oil, and cook as before.
9. Serve warm patties on toasted buns and garnish, if desired, with lettuce, sliced tomato, ketchup, and mustard.